ORDER of the WHITE HAT
Wyoming is known as The Cowboy State!
Our Wyoming District 1 motto states:
“District 1 ‘Cowboys Up’ for ALL Little Leaguers”
Only real Wyomingites truly know what the term means.
The Cowboy wears a number of items of specialized clothing.
- Cowboy boots to protect his feet and keep them in the stirrups.
- Spurs on his boots to encourage his horse to run after a cow.
- Chaps to protect his legs from the brush as he rides.
- A brilliantly-colored, long-sleeved shirt with pearl snaps which shows the pride he takes in being a Cowboy.
- A belt to hold up his Levi pants and display the big silver buckle he won at the last rodeo where he showed the special skills of the working Wyoming Cowboy.
- A bright colored bandanna around his neck.
But the most useful item of his attire is the Cowboy Hat:
- When the sun shines, it keeps him in the shade.
- When it rains, it prevents the rain from running down his back inside of his shirt.
- When it snows, it keeps the snow off of his ears so that they won’t freeze.
- When it’s time for a nap, he puts it over his face as he lays back to prevent the sun from keeping him awake.
- When he climbs aboard a bucking bronc, he uses it to “FAN” that cayuse so he gets a high score during the “8” second ride.
- He can even use it to feed his horse some oats or give him a drink of water.
- When he meets a Lady, he tips his hat as a sign of respect.
And last and most important, its color tells everyone about his character.
- A black hat says that this cowboy is a low-down bad hombre!
- A gray hat indicates he is a regular, hard-working cow puncher, and an honest-to-goodness good guy from ol’ Wyomin’.
- But a white hat says he is a straight shooter, whose word is his bond, and that his hand shake is as good as a “signed and sealed contract.”
WHITE HAT AWARDEES
July 2006: Jim & Darsi Tossetti
Jim and Darsi have been the Team 14 host for the Wyoming teams at the Little League West Regional Tournament for over 20 years.
July 2017: Sam McCloud
Sam has umpired Little League baseball for the Kemmerer Little League, Wyoming District 1, and Wyoming State Tournaments for 39 years.
October 2017: Calvin Sanders
Calvin has served as the Powell Little League UIC and the Wyoming District 1 UIC for many years during which he has led the effort to recruit and train an elite umpire cadre for the leagues of District 1.
© Copyright 2015-2018 - All Rights Reserved